Improv 4 Teens and Improv 4 Kids are the outreach divisions of EIGHT IS NEVER ENOUGH Improv. We perform 300+ shows every year for K-12 and family audiences at our Times Square Theater and touring schools, camps, and community centers. The shows alone are fun for both students and teachers. Paired with study guides and workshops, the program brings a valuable resource to the school. Laughter alone is huge in reducing stress, and proven to better test scores (John Hopkins Studies) Humor builds a better brain (Based on William Fry from Stamford). And Improv is the most fun way to teach public speaking, listening, focus, eye contact and other valuable life skills.
Our after school program consists of 8 classes/quarter ($1600), 10 classes/trimester ($1750) or 15 classes/semester ($2250). This includes 1 teacher for up to 90-minutes OR two 45-minute classes back to back up to 2 hours total.
– Each class can comfortably include up to 20 students. 10-15 is ideal (like any subject teacher ratio is huge)
– Each session consists of warm-up, technique and performance games that teach Creativity (creative writing, critical thinking), Community (Team, Respect, Listening, Focus, Eye Contact) and Leadership (Public Speaking, Self Confidence).
– Each Program ends with a performance showcase.
– OPTIONAL – Our public classes include a stand-up comedy component. Students create their own routines over the course of a semester. This further develops creative writing skills.
– The Programs easily tie into Cultural Arts (Theater), Language Arts (Story Telling, Creative Writing, Public Speaking) and Character Building (Community, Leadership, Anti-Bully etc).
We run programs directly at NEST+m (4 years) and this year starting programs at 92Y and Williamsburg Northside. We also run programs (export our teachers) all over the city via various YMCAs, JCCs and even the Comedy Hall of Fame where our teachers are part of credit bearing fine arts and ELA electives in school. I previously served as the Director of Instruction (2009-2012) for the Comedy Hall of Fame and developed the programs for those schools. 2 of the students graduated and became interns in our professional program. One became a full time cast member summers when home from college.
Educational Outreach NYC Improv Shows & Workshops
I recommend bringing a show to the school (as low as $500 in the fall. Regularly $600). 3-4 teaching artists can introduce the art form to the school. Or bring the team in for a full day ($1500). Start with a show or two, depending on school size. The teachers can then work with up to 100 students/ hour introducing basic concepts of Improv, while promoting better public speaking, team skills, respect (Really pairs well with Anti-Bully programming in the fall). We even have a powerful Professional Development Program that serves both as a corporate team building exercise and teaches how to use Improv in the class room to de-stress students and staff, use Improv to role play literary characters as well as historical figures and scientists.
Our weekly after school programs will turn a small group into leaders. Students that are not afraid to read in class and engage in discussion have more fun in school over all. Attendance goes up. Grades go up. Test scores go up.